RE: [Videolib] Video Librarian

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:37:24 -0600

"I would avoid working in a public library at all costs: they are generally
dreadful and deadening to one's free spirit. ."

No problem with me reposting this exchange to PUBLIB is there?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Flanzraich [mailto:LFlanzra@Qc1.Qc.Edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 1:22 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Video Librarian

I was hoping someone could help me. I am trying to get information on the
best steps to take in becoming a Video Librarian. I have my M.L.I.S and am
currently working in a para professional position in a video library. Do I
need a second masters? Any help would be appreciated. I just want some leads
on how to become one either academic or public library.

Thank you.

Tracy

A second Master's in Cinema Studies would help, although not necessarily,
especially for a public library. I would avoid working in a public library
at all costs:
they are generally dreadful and deadening to one's free spirit. .

My recommendation is to become a CINEMANIAC if you are not one already, and
join film clubs, organizations, volunteer to write reviews, bone up on
technology-- although the substantive nature of media librarianship is far
more interesting, at
least for me. Take lots of film/media courses.

It is not a good economy--however there are opportunities, if you make them
happen. If you live in a major city--there are t.v. networks, film archives,
studios,
museums, film art centers,blah blah.

Hangout, above all, with -MOVIE MANIACS--if you have your heart set on
it--you
can make it happen.

Keep us posted.