Re: [Videolib] CD scratch repair machines

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:35:26 -0800

--=====================_11518302==.ALT

Jen,

We, too, have a small budget for this kind of purchase. So, we bought a
motorized Skip Dr., and it seems to work pretty well for scratched and
damaged CD/DVDs. For general dirt, smudge and light scratching we use CD
wipes. My understanding is that you have to be careful how often you use a
scratch repair machine on any one disc, as it apparently removes some part
of the uppermost layer. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that -

And when using the Skip Dr, you must make sure that the surface remains
wet. I think one of my assistants may have irreparably damaged a couple of
DVDs this way - there's a 'sanded' swath all around. Can't think of
anything else that would have caused that kind of damage.

I believe you're right in thinking that the kinds of complaints you're
hearing may be due to low-end machines. We have 2 at home, one is an older
off-brand. The other a newer major brand. When renting popular videos from
the big chain, we occasionally get one that's dirty or scratched. The
damage affects the performance more dramatically in the low-end player. We
often have to switch players to view the whole disc.

General Lee A. Lurker
(aka Joan Goodwin - SDSU Media Center)

At 10:39 AM 11/21/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>I need the collected wisdom of the list! Do CD/DVD scratch repair
>machines really work? We've recently begun buying and circulating DVDs,
>and now have about 100 or so. It seems that, compared to VHS, many more
>DVDs come back to me with notes along the lines of "patron says ending
>wouldn't play" or "picture is broken up". We've been thinking the
>problem is some patrons' lower end machines, because when I test them,
>they work fine. Other times, they come back completely hosed. I guess we
>need to either invest in one of these machines, (kinda stiff for our
>budget!) or re-evaluate whether we really want to continue buying DVD's.
>My director feels that's the way the market is headed, but I'm on the
>fence...
>Any advice would be awesome!
>Thanks,
>Jen Stutesman

Joan Freeman Goodwin
Media Center Supervisor

Library and Information Access email:jgoodwin@mail.sdsu.edu
San Diego State University phone:(619)594-6759
San Diego, California 92182-8050 fax : (619)594-0718