Re: [Videolib] helping establish a film festival in Palestine

Ben Achtenberg (Ben@fanlight.com)
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:10:57 -0500

He should get in touch with Grassroots International, which works with many
groups in Palestine, including the Ibdaa Cultural Center which participated
in the documentary "Promises." Zian Abbas, the director of Ibdaa has been
involved in a number of other films there as well: for background info see
this article from today's Boston Globe...
http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2003/11/18/palestinians_stay_connected/

Here's another little blurb about Ibdaa:
http://www.martinbarofund.org/projects/2003.htm#ibdaa

He should also absolutely contact the Human Rights Watch Film Festival,
which has screened many Palestine-related films over the years, and is in
touch with many filmmakers with new works:
http://www.hrw.org/iff/2003/

Among distributors, I'm pretty sure that First Run / Icarus has films he
would be interested in (http://www.frif.com)

... and finally, http://www.mediarights.org A quick search on "Palestine"
popped up 15 titles there.

Best,
Ben

At 04:40 PM 11/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
>A friend of mine lives outside Bethlehem. He wants to establish a film
>festival, showing Palestinians some of the new films being made ABOUT
>THEM, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have told him
>about films from Arab Films, etc. in this country. - Steve Fesenmaeir

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com