RE: [Videolib] videotape in cold environments

Schmitt, Mike (schmittm@uwgb.edu)
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:55:40 -0600

They only problems I have experienced is when going from cold into warm locations and vice versa. Once the equipment is set I have had no problems particularly with amps, speakers, projectors, etc. I have shown video in cold weather, sub zero for recording, and in extreme heat and humidity. The humidity really tends to be the problem since most decks have a dew indicator and when the moisture is high they simply shut down.

I don't see any reason for concern in a 20 degree F situation.

Good luck!

--Mike Schmitt
UW-Green Bay

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Lori Stevens
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 12:56 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] videotape in cold environments

You could ask the guys at the Association of Moving Image
Archivists at www.amianet.org. They literally have written
the book on film preservation in the US and are very willing
to help.

Lori Stevens
Media Librarian
Utah Valley State College Library
Orem, Utah 84058

Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students
and they check out books. And then they learn
things."

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 1997)

>>> kathy@purdue.edu 11/07/03 08:25AM >>>
I am doing an installation and plan to use a videotape and
vcr in the
space. This building, however, is not heated. Tonight is
the opening and
it will be in the 20's. It is a big old brick movie theatre
which does
heat up with the sun--somewhat. The forecast is for
continued warming
into the40- 60's next week, but 30's at night. Will I be
able to play
out this tape safely? Will the equipment work? I had not
really thought
about it before. Does anyone know the safe parameters for
tape and
equipment. There are other people who are doing the same
thing.
Thanks for your help.
Kathy Evans
Purdue University