RE: Re: [Videolib] Just to depress you guys

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:49:09 -0600

The implied point of my original "mistaken" posting (if mistaken
postings get this many good responses I think I'll be sending more) was
that anyone charging $690 (or $790) for a 17 minute program is involved
in something like highway robbery or a shakedown scheme, and we
shouldn't encourage them by buying their product. Granted, the Fish!
thing was aimed originally at the corporate training market and not at
circulating collections in public libraries, but the fact that it caught
some sort of pop culture or marketing updraft doesn't mean we're
obligated to take the bait. I know that in this biz we're supposed to
bend over backwards to serve the patron, but it doesn't seem in my
public's interest to contort our budget to the tune of 700 bucks for the
sake of a very short, and probably faddish, training program. If the
Fish! folks are willing to sell print materials, audiobooks and all
sorts of paraphernalia at retail but want to keep the film at full
price, we'll buy the print materials, audiobooks and paraphernalia, and
pass on the film.

PC

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian