Re: [Videolib] DVD shelving

Sarah Andrews (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:35:31 -0500

Hi Becky-
I'm replying off list for this. I work at an academic library with closed
stacks, and sub at 2 public libraries.

1. What are you using for security? At the libraries I work at, we have
the security system where the dvds are in special cases, with just a
locking "stick" on the side (Secure-case). They basically look like cases
in a store, and nothing is covered up for patrons.
These work pretty well and aren't that much work. But--they ain't
cheap. The strips cost $.89 and the cases $1.29.
If you could afford it, these cases are very secure. (We also put mag
strips on the plastic cases just in case someone wants to try to take off
with the dvd anyway). Another plus to these cases--people don't seem to
break dvds because they come out easily.

2. I would STRONGLY recommend NOT shelving all the books together, unless
you use call numbers and stickers on every book so subjects/authors would
fall together. Example of problem: Student needs to do a paper on a
subject. They would have a more difficult time identifying fiction (not
usable for the paper) and fiction. At one library I work at all
non-fiction is shelved together, and children's is marked with a J
(juvenile). This works ok in a small collection, but we do have to answer
a lot of questions for people like "is this appropriate for my needs?"

3. I would not shelve all the films together, because then it will be
really easy for children to pick up R rated films--and you will have
complaints from their parents. Reality is--some boxes for adult films have
scantily clothed women, guns, etc. and kids are attracted to them.

Sarah Andrews
Iowa City, IA