RE: [Videolib] DVD shelving
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:48:12 -0500

Although our DVD collection is relatively small (currently less than 400
titles), we had a major problem with theft (lost 10 discs in one
weekend) when some patrons realized that there was nothing on the discs
themselves that would set off the alarm. We temporarily shelved the
whole collection on a cart at the front desk (not fun!). We researched
several options: 3M hub markers - expensive and unreliable, plus made
discs unplayable; security cases - patrons could still break them open,
expensive, and took up extra space; or shelving the discs at the desk.
We chose the latter - we have all of the discs labeled by number, and
stored at the front desk in little CD flip stands (although binders
would work well, too). We have our entire current collection stored in
2 feet of back counter space, and we have not lost another disc due to
theft. Also, there is no chance of patrons playing with and damaging
the discs while browsing, no chance of discs ending up in the toilet
(which we had happen), and any extra damage which may occur from the
extra handling is negligible compared to the damage our patrons do to
them. Grand total of around $50 solved our problem, compared with
several hundred to several thousand dollars for the other options.

Hope that helps!

Benjamin D. Sprague
Circulation Supervisor /
Technology Services