Re: [Videolib] DVD circulation counts prior to damage

Joan Goodwin (mediasup@library.sdsu.edu)
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:26:05 -0700

Walt Crawford has some interesting information regarding DVD vs VHS
durability at http://cites.boisestate.edu/civ3i11.pdf

Joan Goodwin
Head, Media Center
San Diego State University
Library and Information Access

At 05:08 PM 10/21/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd like to see numbers reported on this as well. We have about 300 DVD
>titles and they go out about 200 times a year. After two years we have
>about 30 damaged. Contrast to a collection of 14,500 tapes and 33,000
>circulations and about 8 damaged a year. This is a k-12 video library
>which may contribute to the damage problem and be different from a public
>library. Based on anecdotal evidence from others, this "feels" like a
>problem to me too.
>
>Mark Richie
>Director
>BurlCoEMTC
>
>Putman, Clyde wrote:
>
>>Friends:
>>Mike Tribby said that DVD's tend to get fewer circulations before they
>>are damaged than does VHS. Has anybody done any research on this? It
>>sure FEELS that way to me, but I don't have any numbers.
>>
>>Cheers from Dallas where it is a BEAUTIFUL fall day!!!
>>
>>Clyde R. Putman
>>Media Scheduling Coordinator
>>Media Circulation Supervisor
>>NCMIT Media Library
>>Southern Methodist University
>>cputman@mail.smu.edu
>>(214) 768-3456

Joan Freeman Goodwin
Media Center Supervisor

Library and Information Access email:jgoodwin@mail.sdsu.edu
San Diego State University phone:(619)594-6759
San Diego, California 92182-8050 fax : (619)594-0718