Re: [Videolib] DVD circulation counts prior to damage

Jonathan Degan (
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:34:54 -0400

Earlier this year I did brief comparison for our small collection of DVDs
(approx. 100, compared to 7000 VHS titles) to see if it was economical to
continue buying them. I could not find a link between total count and
condition. Some had high use counts and in excellent condition; some had
low counts with noticeable wear n' tear.

I have as yet to replace a title due to being damaged. We now have have
circ. clerks doing a quick visual inspection on the disc as they are
checked in, and anything major is brought to my attention.

Jon Degan

At 04:41 PM 10/20/2003, Putman, Clyde wrote:
>Mike Tribby said that DVD's tend to get fewer circulations before they
>are damaged than does VHS. Has anybody done any research on this? It
>sure FEELS that way to me, but I don't have any numbers.
>Cheers from Dallas where it is a BEAUTIFUL fall day!!!
>Clyde R. Putman
>Media Scheduling Coordinator
>Media Circulation Supervisor
>NCMIT Media Library
>Southern Methodist University
>(214) 768-3456
>Videolib mailing list

Jonathan Degan -
Médiathèque / Media Resources
Bibliothèque Morisset Library - Université d'Ottawa/University of Ottawa
Tel.: 613-562-5800 (3579); Fax: 613-562-5133

Videolib mailing list