Re: [Videolib] "Toxi"

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:58:58 +0200

Dear Patti,

here is the story:
Toxi
1952, 88 min., Dir. Robert A. Stemmle
A well-to-do Hamburg family finds a five-year-old girl abandoned at the
door of its villa. Her name is Toxi, and she's black, the daughter of a
German girl (who died) and an American GI (who returned to the States).
Director Robert A. Stemmle effectively details the prejudices then
existing in Germany against mixed marriages, as well as against the
children produced by those marriages. The film premiered in August 1952,
just at the moment when the first generation of those children created
by marriages or liaisons between German women and American GIs - quite a
few of whom were African-Americans - began entering German schools, thus
creating a public awareness of this situation.

Not available in Germany and never ever released on video here. No entry
in WorldCat and no German university library or media center seems to
own it on video. But there has been a performance of this film in Boston
in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut Inter Nationes in march this
year
http://www.goethe.de/uk/bos/englisch/programm/eventfilm/afterthewar03.htm

You might ask them where they have got it from.
http://www.goethe.de/uk/bos/enindex.htm
As far as I see it's not in their feature film catalogue.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html