RE: [Videolib] "Toxi"

Kim Hale (khale@colum.edu)
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:31:10 -0500

Hello all,

Toxi has been shown throughout the country (I saw it here in Chicago). A
couple of references I found listed the Goethe Insitut as a cosponsor. You
might try:

http://www.goethe.de/uk/bos/enindex.htm

as a start.

--------------------

Toxi
Directed by Robert A. Stemmle
West Germany 1952, 35mm, b/w, 88 min.
With Elfie Fiegert, Paul Bildt, Johanna Hofer
German with English subtitles

A well-to-do Hamburg family finds a five-year-old girl abandoned at the door
of its villa. Toxi is black, the daughter of a now deceased German girl and
an American G. I. who has returned to the States. Director Robert A. Stemmle
effectively details then-current attitudes toward interracial relationships
and multi-racial children, presenting German positions on race and racism
with remarkable honesty and candor. Just as young Toxi has worked her way
into the hearts of this German family, a resolution of sorts appears: her
American father returns, hoping to take Toxi with him back to the States.
The film premiered at the moment when the first generation of children
created by liaisons between German women and American soldiers-many of whom
were African American-began entering German schools, creating a public
awareness of this situation.

Kimberly A. Hale, Head of Collection Management and Acting Head of Reference
and Instruction
Library, Columbia College Chicago
624 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605