RE: The cross and the switchblade--on DVD! [was:RE: [Videolib] WA

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:17:24 -0500

Thanks, Becky. We put it in feature films, too. I remember when it
originally came out (1968 or 1969 since I saw it in high school and I
graduated in '70) it was presented to us as a "true story" by a guidance
counselor who was perhaps more enthusiastic than necessary. The book
garnered it's share of critical questions, too, but it is indubitably
non-fiction--at least to the extent that Dutch is anyway. Have you ever
encountered a comic book--I mean graphic novel--titled Alberto? A bit over
the top, but a similar biography in many ways. Perhaps it's useful to
consider the film version of Cross and the Switchblade as much of a true
story as Fargo.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 3:31 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: The cross and the switchblade--on DVD! [was:RE: [Videolib] WA Y
OF F TOPIC: ex-cub factor]

We would really put this in our fiction/feature film category, since that is
really how it is promoted. It isn't a documentary. Just like "All the
President's Men" is a feature film, or "Malcolm X" with Denzel Washington.
If it was nonfiction, I think that the majority of the film would be
interviews with the real David Wilkerson and Nicky Cruz, with some dramatic
reenactments. Just my 2 cents.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library