Re: [Videolib] best horror films ever

Steve Brantley (jbrant1@uic.edu)
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 12:31:12 -0500

--=====================_2534312==.ALT

Wicker Man
dir. Robin Hardy
with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward
1975

synopsis from www.britmovie.co.uk

The Wicker Man is a cult masterpiece adapted from Anthony Shaffer's story,
which has rattled censors and upright Christian authorities ever since its
release. Director Robin Hardy manages to stoke up a genuinely sinister,
sometimes erotic atmosphere.

Strait-laced police sergeant Neil Howie (Edward Woodward) is our bewildered
protagonist, investigating the disappearance of a young girl on the
secluded Scottish island of Summer Isle, and finding a perfectly functional
- but hideously ungodly pagan society. Howie questions numerous villagers
about the girls whereabouts, some claim the girl doesn't exist or that that
she is dead, but never really answer any of his questions. The virginal
policeman uncovers the truth behind stories of strange Satanic rites and
wild, wild women such as the innkeeper's daughter, Willow (Britt Ekland),
who one night attempts to arouse the police officer, who is in the room
next door, by dancing in the nude while singing to him.

The people on the island increasingly disgust the officer with the rituals
they perform, and it's hardly surprising that poor old Howie soon becomes a
gibbering basket case. He soon becomes aware that locals may be hiding the
girl and follows the progressively shocking trail of clues to the
unflappable local laird Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). Howie believes
the girl is to be sacrificed to provide bountiful crops during a pagan May
Day ceremony, and then sets out to rescue her, and the perfect surprise ending.

Steve