RE: [Videolib] theft of the video's artwork

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:47:07 -0500

I can't say we have had that problem with videos, but with cds. We place
the barcode right on the insert. If the insert isn't back, the item can't
be checked in, and the material is given back to the patron as unreturned.
If the insert is lost, we charge them $1.25 - $1 for the insert, and 25
cents for the barcode. We end up making a generic cover with a new barcode
for the cd.

On our videos, the barcode is on the actual case. We make generic covers on
a word processing template for A&E, History Channel titles, or any other
title that comes in a blank case. I guess if someone stole a color sleeve
from a video case, we would charge something for it, probably $1, and then
have to make a new cover. I don't know if this helps or not.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street