RE: [Videolib] Midwest & Y Tu Mama Tambien

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:24:51 -0500

I ran into the exact same problem - before it was released, Midwest had
listings for both the unrated and the edited versions; I ordered the unrated
and got the edited. Since then, I have found listings in their database for
edited R rated versions only of films which are released in two versions. As
a result, I have decided to order films like that from other vendors. I
brought this up in a recent meeting with a Midwest rep, but didn't get a
clear indication of why they seem to be carrying only the edited versions.
There is a fairly explicit sex scene in Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, but no more
revealing that what typically turns up in R rated films. There is also a
scene towards the end in which one of the male leads kisses the other in
what is obviously foreplay to a three-way encounter with the woman - I am
guessing that this is what really scared the ratings people.

John Holland
Chicago Public Library
Popular Library
400 S. State Street