RE: [Videolib] Midwest & Y Tu Mama Tambien

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:04:08 -0500

I order most of our movies from AEC. They usually show all versions
available for a title, and do list them accordingly. I did order the
unrated version of this. However, somone on our staff saw that we had this,
and stole it from the case between our tech services and the av department,
before the box was sealed. So now, I have to order again. This duo version
happens with rap music, and also with films - I think it was Saturday Night
Live that was released in an R and PG versions.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Gena Zelenka [mailto:gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:26 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Midwest & Y Tu Mama Tambien

Hi, All,

I just wanted to pass along something that happened to me recently. I order
all the adult films (that phrase always makes me smile) and put in an order
for Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN with Midwest Video. I like to screen films before I
put them on the shelf so I know what I'm talking about but I didn't get to
the first chapter of this DVD because I saw a disclaimer saying that it had
been modified from original theatrical content. I jumped up from the couch
and grabbed the dvd case and sure enough on the bottom of it there was a
disclaimer saying the same thing.

I like to see films as close to what the director wanted me to see and feel
the integrity of a film should be protected as much as possible. When I
ordered this film there was nothing that let me know I was getting a
censored version. I called Midwest and they were unaware they had two
versions of this film. Has anyone else run across this?

And what's the big deal about this movie that it has to have 2 versions?
Guess I'll have to wait until the *real* film comes in and keep the censored
version on hand in case I get complaints.....

Gena Z.

Gena K. Zelenka
A/V and Adult Programming Librarian
Reader Services
PARK RIDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY
20 S. Prospect Ave.
Park Ridge, IL 60068
847-825-3123 x389
Fax: 847-825-0001
gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us <mailto:gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us>

"Bookstores are stores disguised as libraries." Mark Swartz/Instant Karma