Re: [Videolib] DVD & CD security

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:16:43 -0400

A year or two ago when re-evaluating processing practices, the Greenville (SC)
County Library System decided to not use overlays on CD audiobooks. There were
seldom had problems with these items disappearing, and it just didn't warrant
the expense.

The library had ceased using overlays on music CD's for probably 5-7 years
during a time when the primary collection in the Main Library was under fairly
close visual control by staff. Same for DVD's when that collection began four
years ago. With the move to a new Main Library last year, where the size and
location of the AV department did not lend themselves to similar visual control,
new CD's (except audiobooks) and DVD's received 3M overlays. Some branches also
found it necessary to shelve their smaller collections on a cart behind the
circulation desk, which could be pulled out for users to browse; but the cases &
discs were never separated. Personally, I've never had a problem playing DVD's
with overlays on my 4-year-old Toshiba DVD player.

Pat Shufeldt
pashuf@charter.net