RE: [Videolib] DVD security

Sprague@riponlibrary.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:36:17 -0500

Hi,

We've had nothing but trouble using the overlays on DVD discs. We tried
about ten of them and have had to remove them all due to patrons
returning them adn saying they cannot play them in their DVD players.
We have tried some on our staff players and had the same results. We
have since decided to leave the empty cases on the shelves and store the
discs in "flip bridges" (www.ergoindemand.com) behind the desk. We
haven't lost a disc due to theft since.

Benjamin D. Sprague
----------------------
Circulation Supervisor /
Technology Services
Ripon Public Library
website: http://www.riponlibrary.org
email: sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert, Rue [mailto:rherbert@lib.usf.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 8:11 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] DVD security

I know this topic has been discussed to a certain degree recently, but I
have a specific inquiry I don't think has yet been addressed. We are in
the process of evaluating the current security we use on our DVDs. They
are shelved in open stacks using a type of plastic security case. These
cases have not provided the security we had hoped. Once the case has
been opened several times, it seems to become quite easy to just pull
the sides and pop it open. So, we are looking at the 3-M type stripped
overlays to use on the actual discs. We use them on our compact discs
and cd roms with no problems cited.

I would appreciate any comments anyone has regarding using these on
DVDs. Our initial "tests" seem successful, and I realize they cannot be
used for 2-sided DVDs, but we have a minimal number of those. It will
be quite an investment to strip the entire existing collection, so I'm
trying to cover all the possible bases.

Thanks for any input provided.

Rue

Rue M. Herbert