RE: [Videolib] DVD security

Konkel, Mary (Konkel@cdnet.cod.edu)
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:16:05 -0500

We have had success with the double-strip CD/DVD overlaps at College of
DuPage. We
have a large popular video collection and they seem to do the trick. Now if
we could just train our users on how to remove a DVD from its case, so the
hub won't be damaged&&**(( --Mary : )

_________________

Mary S. Konkel
Assistant Professor
Head of Technical Services
College of DuPage
Library SRC 3038A
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137-6599
Voice: (630) 942-2662
Fax: (630) 858-8757
Email: Konkel@cdnet.cod.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert, Rue [mailto:rherbert@lib.usf.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 8:11 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] DVD security

I know this topic has been discussed to a certain degree recently, but I
have a specific inquiry I don't think has yet been addressed. We are in the
process of evaluating the current security we use on our DVDs. They are
shelved in open stacks using a type of plastic security case. These cases
have not provided the security we had hoped. Once the case has been opened
several times, it seems to become quite easy to just pull the sides and pop
it open. So, we are looking at the 3-M type stripped overlays to use on the
actual discs. We use them on our compact discs and cd roms with no problems
cited.

I would appreciate any comments anyone has regarding using these on DVDs.
Our initial "tests" seem successful, and I realize they cannot be used for
2-sided DVDs, but we have a minimal number of those. It will be quite an
investment to strip the entire existing collection, so I'm trying to cover
all the possible bases.

Thanks for any input provided.

Rue

Rue M. Herbert