Re: [Videolib] Archival copy of DVD

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:03:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C37EA6.16299280

Yes, but... Gary is absolutely right that it's illegal, but this would =
be the ultimate solution--especially given the pristine digital =
copies--for what may well be the last physical format we will see before =
streaming/downloading becomes ubiquitous. Both library and video store =
budgets are getting massacred with double and triple replacement costs =
on DVDs (with no damage fees being collected, since it's nearly =
impossible to assign blame if the disc isn't literally returned in two =
pieces).

Naturally, the studios won't touch this with a ten-foot pole, but this =
is DVD's true Achilles heel, and I've read in more than one place that =
smaller video stores and libraries have simply given up *entirely* on =
the format precisely because they don't have the budget (or ideological =
stomach--and who can blame them?) to buy the same item over and over and =
over.

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com
----- Original Message -----=20