RE: [Videolib] A&E in libraries

Blaine Waterman (bwaterman@sfpl.org)
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:37:58 -0700

True for us. Those generic covers KILL circulation. Which is too bad, as
many of their programs are high quality and very affordable.

Blaine Waterman
San Francisco PL

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tribby [mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 8:16 AM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] A&E in libraries

Dear CW;

In recent weeks our crack team of sales professionals have told us that
libraries are no longer eager to purchase A&E videos. They attribute
this
to the lack of color covers. Apparently their contention is that
generic
covers inhibit sales regardless of content. This seems strange to me
because
when I peruse local public library collections, as I often do, I see
lots of
A&E videos, though sadly not all of them were purchased from QBI. Is
our
sales staff's shared perception correct? How do video librarians (not
just
in the public libraries) feel about this? Strangely (to me anyway) we
sell
an awful lot of Showtime "family" selections, which seem to me to
resemble
live-action Disney product without the gritty reality the Mouseketeer
crowd
usually provides.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger