RE: [Videolib] A&E in libraries

Blaine Waterman (
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:37:58 -0700

True for us. Those generic covers KILL circulation. Which is too bad, as
many of their programs are high quality and very affordable.

Blaine Waterman
San Francisco PL

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tribby []
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 8:16 AM
To: ''
Subject: [Videolib] A&E in libraries

Dear CW;

In recent weeks our crack team of sales professionals have told us that
libraries are no longer eager to purchase A&E videos. They attribute
to the lack of color covers. Apparently their contention is that
covers inhibit sales regardless of content. This seems strange to me
when I peruse local public library collections, as I often do, I see
lots of
A&E videos, though sadly not all of them were purchased from QBI. Is
sales staff's shared perception correct? How do video librarians (not
in the public libraries) feel about this? Strangely (to me anyway) we
an awful lot of Showtime "family" selections, which seem to me to
live-action Disney product without the gritty reality the Mouseketeer
usually provides.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.