[Videolib] A&E in libraries

Sarah Andrews (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:56:46 -0500

Personally--
I think covers do matter--especially to younger viewers. Videos with
boring-looking covers (including those with people dressed in period
costumes) don't circulate. For example: The Sopranos video covers are very
boring. The only patrons who seem to check it out are people that have
heard the buzz about it--not casual browsers.

I also work in an academic library where the videos are stored in a
non-public area with no browsing allowed. Covers seem to matter less, and
cataloging matters more--for example, we have patrons that obviously do
keyword searches for "sex"--and end up checking out life sciences videos as
well as what I expect they were looking for.

Sarah Andrews