Re: [Videolib] A&E in libraries

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:09:05 -0400

As a former public librarian and as a church librarian, I would be reluctant to
put money into any videos with generic covers unless there was already expressed
demand. Continued marketing is essential in both settings, and that is very
difficult if you don't have any assistance from the vendor. When funds and
space are limited, they need to be spent on those items which will receive use,
not titles which may be high quality but will stay on the shelves.

I've also purchased occasional personal copies of good video titles from
Amazon.com, but not recommended them for public library purchase because they
had generic Amazon covers with no descriptive information. Example: A WOMAN'S
TALE, directed by Paul Cox. There is absolutely no information on the cardboard
cover which describes the content. Unless a potential viewer already knows
about the film or some of the people associated with it, there is no reason to
check it out.

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville, SC
pashuf@charter.net