RE: [Videolib] Vendors for Academic Media centers

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:43:43 -0500

Your powers-that-be really are clueless aren't they?
Are you really able to get _all_ books from one source? I can understand
saying that you need to see if a jobber has it first, but what do you do
if the title isn't there?

I can use Baker & Taylor or Follett AV (now BWI) for the mainstream
titles, but other than that I go to the actual distributor.
Even if there was a jobber that carried all the major distributors of
documentaries, there are still lots of little operations. For example, I
just ordered a video from a non-profit organization that had a single
title that they were selling.

As for the benefits of shopping around -- Would it help your cause to
show them some examples such as the prices in Insight Media's catalog
versus the lower prices often found in other sources for the same video?

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945