Re: [Videolib] Vendors for Academic Media centers

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:21:50 -0500

There are several distributors that offer one-stop-shopping, but these
typically do not provide preview privileges. And no one vendor offers
everything. I even had one vendor tell me they could not permit previewing
of their materials because doing so would cause them to violate the
copyright law!

I assume that you are talking about previewing non-theatrical material. If
so, you will have to go to the original distributors for that privilege.
Stand your ground to use as many vendors as necessary to purchase the
content you need for your collection. You might even quote your
institution's mission statement if it includes something along the line of
"providing quality education" as part of your rationale to continue using
the vendors you need.
Good luck,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources