Re: [Videolib] DVD vs. VHS in public libraries -- survey

Mike Boedicker (mboedicker@hotmail.com)
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:52:45 -0500

Gary et al,
One respondent noted how little nonfiction video circulates in her library
compared to features. We have the same problem here, and many other PL's,
surveys, & vendors have reported this trend also. It's bad enough now, and
I hate to think what it will be like if format does indeed determine
content.

My understanding is that DVD is cheaper to reproduce, but that the initial
mastering costs are quite high. Can anyone shed some light on the costs of
DVD?

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
Library homepage: http://www.danville.lib.il.us
Personal homepage: http://www.boedicker.net

"There are three sides to every story: my side, your side, and the truth.
And no one is lying."
-- Robert Evans