Re: [Videolib] Public Library Film Collections?

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:25:59 EDT

--part1_37.3d8f67b4.2c8a2f37_boundary

In a message dated 9/5/03 2:18:21 PM, califilmbat@aol.com writes:
> Hi-
> I am a graduate student at the University of East Anglia researching for m=
y=20
> MA dissertation in Film Archiving (the history and necessity to preserve=20
> public library 16mm film collections).=A0 Does anyone know how many public=
=20
> libraries still have 16mm film collections today?
> Thanks
> Elena Rossi-Snook
>=20

Dear Elena,
Sadly, more and more public libraries in the US are either dumping their=20
collections or selling them off to private entrepreneurs. However, there are=
a few=20
success stories. The most active library in the country for 16mm is the New=20
York Public Library's Donnell Media Center in NYC. Not only are they still=20
buying and collecting, but they had a very large grant a couple of years ago=
to=20
archive, preserve, and even restore some of their one-of-a-kind prints. It's=
an=20
amazing department. You can contact Joe Yranski at jyranski@nypl.org

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video