Re: [Videolib] re: VHS pricing

Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:35:14 -0700

Hi Holly,

Lower VHS prices are somewhat "trend" oriented but even more a matter of
studio preference. Starting with "Swordfish" (the John Travolta terrorist
bomb), released at the end of October, 2001, Warner (and New Line) began
pricing VHS titles for sell-through, regardless of whether or not they were
blockbusters (the traditional factor for deciding which titles debuted at
sell-through). The other studios have pretty much maintained the $100-plus
release price for most VHS (Paramount, Fox, the Disney family--Hollywood,
Touchstone, Miramax, Dimension--etc.), with MGM closer to the $50 mark, and
smaller studios coming in at prices from $50-$79.95 (all of this very
generalized, of course).

Interestingly, MGM has a weird re-pricing system that they neither advertise
nor announce (we cover the titles in our "Video Movies Re-Priced" section in
"Video Librarian"): namely, when most non-blockbuster titles go to
sell-through, they're available for $5 retail from most distributors (most
recent examples: the Oscar-winning "No Man's Land," the Oscar-nominated "Y
Tu Mama Tambien," "24 Hour Party People," "Our Song," and "Happy
Accidents"--a great little indie film that slipped through the cracks).

One of the more interesting "handwriting on the wall" developments, to me,
is Miramax's decision to release the final film in the Godfrey Reggio/Philip
Glass collaborative trilogy, "Naqoyqatsi," in DVD only (Oct. 14). There have
been other "new" titles released on DVD only (New Line's "Human Nature" last
year, for example), but this is the highest profile new theatrical release
to come out on DVD only as far as I know.

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com