RE: [Videolib] Audio Books on CD

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:10:01 -0500

Having an audiobook collection has been a good thing for us.

We have 1500 audiobook titles that grew out the audio-visual collection.
In theory it's supporting the Education curriculum, but it's a popular
collection with everyone. We include a mix of childrens and adult books.

Since the collection has been around for several years, the audiobooks
circulate for the same loan periods as books.

CD versus cassette tape is a challenge--someone will always want the
other format. For that reason, include something in the bib record so
people can limit a search by CD or cassette, not just "sound recording."

I believe that we do all of our own selection, not a subscription.
Unabridged versions are purchased as much as possible.
Audiophile magazine is the main selection tool, plus the usuals like
Library Journal.

Let me know if you need more details,

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian