Re: [Videolib] Opinions wanted on TV shows on DVD in public libraries

Julie Hill (j.hill@sjcpl.org)
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:43:46 -0500

Hi Renee,

We have been purchasing quite a bit of TV shows on DVD...mostly newer
titles: Sopranos, Sex and the City, Queer as Folk, etc. Patron
response has been quite positive with requests for more. Our budget is
pretty fair so I've been able to accommodate most requests so far. But
we decided on a title by title basis. Now our branches have requested
that we hold off on purchasing tv series for them due to less shelf
space.

We have been purchasing tv shows for the same reasons you listed...to
make available series that might be on cable (and not accessible to
everyone) and to provide costly box sets for public checkout.

Our only problem recently has been our 3-day loan policy. Some patrons
noted that they couldn't watch an entire season of "Buffy" in 3 days.
So we are splitting some of the sets up (Cataloging hasn't rebelled
yet! But it was a challenge).

Hope this helps.

Julie

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:40 PM, Renee Zurn wrote:

> I would like your opinion. I am the Media Librarian for a medium-sized
> public library that just started our DVD collection last fall. We
> currently have about 350 different DVD's, mostly classics and best
> sellers but I have purchased award-winning cable tv shows such as "The
> Sopranos." My thoughts were that many people do not have cable and
> can
> not watch the shows so a library should have them. My VHS collection
> does contain some tv shows, mainly the public television shows such as
> "Keeping up Appearances" and "Red Dwarf."
>
> In the past week I have received two requests from patrons that I
> purchase older tv shows that are being released on DVD. The requests
> have been for "Bonanza" and "Due South." Both patrons want me to
> purchase all episodes as they get released. DVD's take up less space
> than VHS but my budget has not increased to cover purchasing in two
> formats. I have also had requests that I purchase all the recordings
> available of the current BBC comedies being shown on our local public
> tv
> station, "Are You Being Served" and "Days of Wine and Roses."
>
> What is your library policy about purchasing tv shows? What do you
> think a public library should carry? Should this be a case by case
> decision -yes to "Bonanza" as classic tv but no to "Due South" as
> non-award winner tv show?
>
> Renee Zurn
> Media Librarian
> Duluth Public Library