[Videolib] re: VHS pricing

Mike Boedicker (mboedicker@hotmail.com)
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:42:37 -0500

And no one is lying."
-- Robert Evans

-----------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:57:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Holly Sammons" <sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us>
To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [Videolib] VHS pricing
Message: 7

This may be related to the dvd/vhs question posed earlier. I'm wondering
if others are noticing that the prices on many vhs feature films have
become extremely cheap?! My library orders primarily from Baker and
Taylor, and in the past month or so I've noticed many titles are dirt
cheap, ie. under $10 retail. Many of these are newer releases, like
Barbershop, While Oleander, From Hell (okay so they're not blockbusters
but they are high demand items at MY library at least!) On my last order
of 75 titles, 23 of them were under $10.

Is something afoot? Are we looking at the inevitable demise of the
videocassette?

Collection development has gotten murky here, while many of our patrons
have dvd players the demand for vhs is still high. How does a library
determine the number of copies for any given title by format? How many
copies of a $30 dvd do I buy, when I can get the same title in vhs format
for $10 minus a fairly substantial discount?

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup