RE: [Videolib] Opinion needed on music cd's

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:26:10 -0500

You don't mention what kind of music you have on CD, but one reason most
libraries don't use LC classification on popular music might be that it
almost all goes in M1630.18.Cutter for Main Entry. The Beach Boys are at
M1630.18.B34, Leadbelly is at M1630.18.L353, and Melissa Etheridge is at
M1630.18.E7 even thought their music isn't really all that similar.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Margi Peoples [mailto:peoples@SanDiego.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 12:43 PM
To: Videolib
Subject: [Videolib] Opinion needed on music cd's

Hi,
For the past 10 years I have been giving local accession numbers to all our
music cd's. They have been kept behind the circulation counter so they are
not available for browsing. Recently our head of cataloging and preservation
has decided that we should LC all our music cd's (other media as well). Has
anyone done this before? I have about 2,000 cd's to change. The few
libraries that I have checked don't do this. What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance

Margi Peoples
Copley Library
University of San Diego