RE: [Videolib] Opinions wanted on TV shows on DVD in public

LeeAnne Krause (LLKRAUSE@gwm.sc.edu)
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:21:40 -0400

--=__PartF2AC8EE4.0__=

Rene,
I am by NO means acquainted with the acquisition policies of public
libraries, so I can't speak from experience. But as a patron of a
public library, it seems to me that your decision should just be a
function of what the patrons will want and use, and will generally
comprise a cross-section of materials, instructional and entertainment,
high brow and low brow. I personally manage the acquisitions of a
university media collection, and my criteria is "will this be used to
support our curricula?". But the mission of a public library is
different from the mission of the university library. We have a lot of
stuff our public libraries don't, and vice-versa. IMHO, if your library
carries Nora Roberts books, it can carry Sopranos DVDs. The only real
issue in my opinion, is whether you currently have the funds available
for the purchase, and whether you want to spend so much of your budget
on one person.
My $0.02.
LeeAnne

LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
Educational Film Library
Thomas Cooper Library
803-777-0322

>>> ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us 08/27/03 06:05PM >>>
Rene,
I struggle with this question as well. We are also a medium-sized
public
library, and I get many requests for tv series. Our collection policy
doesn't address this issue, and I have to say that, in general, I
would
prefer to have a policy that is not so specific as to prevent me from
exercising some judgment. Still, we, too, have limited shelf space, and
it
doesn't take long for something like the Sopranos to eat up a lot of
acreage. I did get a slight budget increase when we finally started
buying
DVDs, but not enough to be able to duplicate every film in both
formats. I
don't have any answers, but I certainly understand your predicament. I
want
to respond to patron requests when I can, but I find the tv series
question,
combined with multiple formats, to be especially difficult. I hope you
get
some responses that help us both.

Eileen Simmons
Assistant Director/Head of Reference