RE: [Videolib] Opinions wanted on TV shows on DVD in public libra

Eileen Simmons (ESimmons@ci.everett.wa.us)
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:05:15 -0700

Rene,
I struggle with this question as well. We are also a medium-sized public
library, and I get many requests for tv series. Our collection policy
doesn't address this issue, and I have to say that, in general, I would
prefer to have a policy that is not so specific as to prevent me from
exercising some judgment. Still, we, too, have limited shelf space, and it
doesn't take long for something like the Sopranos to eat up a lot of
acreage. I did get a slight budget increase when we finally started buying
DVDs, but not enough to be able to duplicate every film in both formats. I
don't have any answers, but I certainly understand your predicament. I want
to respond to patron requests when I can, but I find the tv series question,
combined with multiple formats, to be especially difficult. I hope you get
some responses that help us both.

Eileen Simmons
Assistant Director/Head of Reference
Everett Public Library