Re: [Videolib] video "Bauhaus dances of Oskar Schlemmer a

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:06:45 +0200

Dear Danette,

a title difficult to find but it exists. It has been performed several
times in the US and in the UK. Debra McCall who has reconstructed the
dances performed in the film held a lecture about exactly this subject
in May this year.

Open House 2003
Annual Exhibition of Student Work
College of Architecture
Illinois Institute of Technology
S.R. Crown Hall
3360 South State Street As part of the College of Architecture’s annual
Open House, Foothold Dance Performance will present Oskar Schlemmer’s
1920’s “Pole Dance,” as reconstructed by Debra McCall. This
architectonic dance, created as part of the Bauhaus Stage Workshop,
illustrates the relationship of the body’s movement geometry with
abstract space. This performance will also feature a lecture by dance
historian Debra McCall on Oscar Schlemmer’s work and the Bauhaus dances.
This program will be free and open to the public. Friday, May 16 from
5:30pm-8:30pm. For more information call (312) 567-3279, or visit
www.arch.iit.edu
http://www.ci.chi.il.us/specialevents/Festivals/GCPS2003/GCPSExhibits2003.html

I think it might be helpful to get the address of Mrs. McCall. She
certainly will know where to get a copy of this film from. To get her
adress you might contact the Chicago Mayor's Office for Special Events
or the College of Architecture Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.arch.iit.edu/index.html . They have invited Mrs. McCall, so
they will know where to find her.

The question is if this titles has ever been published on video. The two
entries in WorldCat don't mention any publisher, either does the
catalogue of the NYPL Dance Collection (U-matic videotaping of the
performance at the IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York, June 1986,
30 min. ) http://149.123.129.10/search~S3 . It might be just a recording
of a dance performance. So contacting Mrs. McCall might be just the
right way to get a copy.

with kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin