Re: [Videolib] Virus Question

Sarah Andrews (
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:22:15 -0500

Our techie people warned us that if you have a certain version of Microsoft
Outlook (pre-XP?) and you set it up to "preview" your email messages, some
attachments might get opened automatically via the preview function.
I don't use Outlook so I haven't had this happen myself.
Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries

At 12:29 PM 8/21/2003, you wrote:
>I NEVER open unknown attachments but I have even heard that it is
>"possible" to get a virus from just opening an E-Mail. A friend says that
>some attachments may open themselves if you open the e mail. I would say
>99.99% of the time I delete e mails with unknown attachments without even
>opening e mail but I may open an e mail before deleting it but never the
>attachment. My office in MAC and non- Windows so we have never gotten a
>virus anyway but I am curious if anyone knows the answer to this
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018