RE: [Videolib] Core Video Collection Advice

Paul Duckworth (pauld@mail.sgcl.org)
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:18:47 -0500

Hi Julie,

I just left you a phone message. I'm curious to know if your movie
collection is arranged by "genres" and if so, what genre names do you use?

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

Paul Duckworth
Collection Development Coordinator
Springfield-Greene County Library District (Missouri)
417-874-8120 ext 223
417-874-8114 fax
pauld@mail.sgcl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Julie Hill
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:01 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Core Video Collection Advice

Hello,

The Head of Acquisitions at my library has asked me to create a core
collection of "classic" videos that we would always have in our
collection and replace if any were damaged or missing. He didn't give
me any guidelines such as how many titles, what time period, etc. So
it's up to me (and possibly a small committee) to come up with some
defined perimeters.

Any advice from the group? I know the AFI Top 100 list is out
there...and many others. But defining "classic" seems like a pretty
huge task! I'd appreciate any input. I'm specifically looking for
titles that are appropriate for a public library setting.

Thanks so much!
Julie

Julie Hill, Sights & Sounds Manager
St. Joseph County Public Library