Re: [Videolib] Murder on a Sunday Morning

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:59:23 +0200

Dear Randy,

I think to create something like a national documentary club via a
network of libraries is a good idea - not only to show documentaries in
cinemas but also to get documentaries into the library which are
otherwise not available on the free market. There is an example in
France which runs successfully since more than 15 years. It's called
IMAGES EN BIBLIOTHEQUES (= pictures in libraries)
http://www.imagenbib.com

Members of this association visit festivals and contact documentary
filmmakers. There is a jury similar to the VRT Notable Videos that
select new titles - mostly from the catalogue of the CNC-Images de la
Culture
http://www.cnc.fr/intranet_images/data/Cnc/
(CNC=National center for film and cinema which is the french institution
to promote French film and cinema and to preserve the heritage in film
http://www.cnc.fr )

These titels are offered to all public libraries at low cost prices.
They are not available for the general public. Here is their catalogue:
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/documentation/stalker/pres.htm

They also publish a journal about documentaries five times a year and
organise promotions like the "Month of the Documentary" in each year in
November.

As often in France cultural activities are supported and financed by the
state, but nevertheless I think there might be a chance to bring
documentaries to the public via a network of libraries that negociate
with the rights owners (often the filmmakers themselves) directly. A
sale by subscription might be a way to minimize financial risks. We have
tried to establish something similar in Germany in the past but there
was no sufficent feedback from the libraries.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin