RE: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on video

Chris Dedrick (chris.dedrick@films.com)
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:11:10 -0400

Thanks, Gary.

El Sur is available from Films for the Humanities. Please see our website
for a description, www.films.com

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 4:31 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on
video

Hey Chris

Films for the Humanities (of all places) used to sell El Sur...check it out

De cierta manera used to be available from:

Center for Cuban Studies
124 W. 23rd St.
New York, NY 10011
Phone: 212-242-0559
Fax: 212-242-1937
cubanctr@igc.org
http://www.cubaupdate.org

For !Ahi esta el detalle! you might scope out
Madera Cinevideo
311 South Pine, Suite 102
Madera, CA 93638
Phone: 800-624-2204, 800-828-8118 (California only), 209-661-60001
video@maderavideo.com

At 03:52 PM 8/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't have much hope in finding these as I wasn't able to locate them in
>OCLC, at least on video, or among any of the usual distibutor suspects.
>Some of the titles I am familiar with and am 99% sure have never been on
>video but I've kept them on the list just in case
>

>- Cidade de Deus (City of God), D: Fernando Meirelles/Katia Lund, Brazil,
>2002.
>
>- La estrategia del caracol (The Strategy of the Snail), D: Sergio Cabrera,
>Colombia, 1993.
>
>- Macunaíma, D: Joaquim Pedro da Andrade, Brazil, 1969.
>
>- La mano en la trampa (The Hand in the Trap), D: Leopoldo Torre Nilsson,
>Argentina, 1961.
>
>- De cierta manera (One Way or Another), D: Sara Gomez, Cuba, 1977.
>
>- Ahí está el detalle (There´s the Detail), D: Juan Bustillo Oro, Mexico,
>1940.
>
>- La tierra prometida (The Promised Land), D: Miguel Littín, Chile, 1971.
>
>- El chacal del Nahueltoro (The Jackal of Nahueltoro), Miguel Littín,
>Chile, 1969.
>
>- Yawar Mallku (Blood of the Condor), D: Jorge Sanjinés, Bolivia, 1969.
>
>- Solo con tu pareja (Love in the Time of Hysteria/Only with Your Partner),
>D: Alfonso Cuarón, Mexico, 1992.
>
>- Gaijin: Os Caminos da Liberdade (Gaijin: A Brazilian Odyssey/Gaijin:
>Roads to Freedom), D: Tizuka Yamasaki, Brazil, 1980.
>
>- El sur (The South), D: Fernando Solanas, Argentina/France, 1987.
>
>- Tango feróz: la leyenda de tanguito (Wild Tango), D: Marcelo Piñeyro,
>Argentina, 1993.
>

>Christopher Lewis
>Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
>American University Library
>202.885.3257
>AIM: congolene

UC Berkeley