RE: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on video

Chris Dedrick (
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 17:11:10 -0400

Thanks, Gary.

El Sur is available from Films for the Humanities. Please see our website
for a description,

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on

Hey Chris

Films for the Humanities (of all places) used to sell El Sur...check it out

De cierta manera used to be available from:

Center for Cuban Studies
124 W. 23rd St.
New York, NY 10011
Phone: 212-242-0559
Fax: 212-242-1937

For !Ahi esta el detalle! you might scope out
Madera Cinevideo
311 South Pine, Suite 102
Madera, CA 93638
Phone: 800-624-2204, 800-828-8118 (California only), 209-661-60001

At 03:52 PM 8/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't have much hope in finding these as I wasn't able to locate them in
>OCLC, at least on video, or among any of the usual distibutor suspects.
>Some of the titles I am familiar with and am 99% sure have never been on
>video but I've kept them on the list just in case
>- Cidade de Deus (City of God), D: Fernando Meirelles/Katia Lund, Brazil,
>- La estrategia del caracol (The Strategy of the Snail), D: Sergio Cabrera,
>Colombia, 1993.
>- Macunaíma, D: Joaquim Pedro da Andrade, Brazil, 1969.
>- La mano en la trampa (The Hand in the Trap), D: Leopoldo Torre Nilsson,
>Argentina, 1961.
>- De cierta manera (One Way or Another), D: Sara Gomez, Cuba, 1977.
>- Ahí está el detalle (There´s the Detail), D: Juan Bustillo Oro, Mexico,
>- La tierra prometida (The Promised Land), D: Miguel Littín, Chile, 1971.
>- El chacal del Nahueltoro (The Jackal of Nahueltoro), Miguel Littín,
>Chile, 1969.
>- Yawar Mallku (Blood of the Condor), D: Jorge Sanjinés, Bolivia, 1969.
>- Solo con tu pareja (Love in the Time of Hysteria/Only with Your Partner),
>D: Alfonso Cuarón, Mexico, 1992.
>- Gaijin: Os Caminos da Liberdade (Gaijin: A Brazilian Odyssey/Gaijin:
>Roads to Freedom), D: Tizuka Yamasaki, Brazil, 1980.
>- El sur (The South), D: Fernando Solanas, Argentina/France, 1987.
>- Tango feróz: la leyenda de tanguito (Wild Tango), D: Marcelo Piñeyro,
>Argentina, 1993.
>Christopher Lewis
>Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
>American University Library
>AIM: congolene
>Videolib mailing list

UC Berkeley