RE: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on video

Debbie Hardwicke (DHardwicke@cfv.org)
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:18:37 -0400

I found the first three titles available from Amazon.com:

Cidade de Deus (City of God) (http://www.imdb.com/Title?0317248)
Macunaíma (http://www.imdb.com/Title?0064616)
La mano en la trampa (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0055138)

I didn't check all of the others, but they all may be available there as well.
Hope this information helps!

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Lewis [mailto:clewis@american.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 3:52 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Query: Elusive Latin American feature films on video

I don't have much hope in finding these as I wasn't able to locate them in
OCLC, at least on video, or among any of the usual distibutor suspects.
Some of the titles I am familiar with and am 99% sure have never been on
video but I've kept them on the list just in case

- Cidade de Deus (City of God), D: Fernando Meirelles/Katia Lund, Brazil,
2002.

- La estrategia del caracol (The Strategy of the Snail), D: Sergio Cabrera,
Colombia, 1993.

- Macunaíma, D: Joaquim Pedro da Andrade, Brazil, 1969.

- La mano en la trampa (The Hand in the Trap), D: Leopoldo Torre Nilsson,
Argentina, 1961.

- De cierta manera (One Way or Another), D: Sara Gomez, Cuba, 1977.

- Ahí está el detalle (There´s the Detail), D: Juan Bustillo Oro, Mexico,
1940.

- La tierra prometida (The Promised Land), D: Miguel Littín, Chile, 1971.

- El chacal del Nahueltoro (The Jackal of Nahueltoro), Miguel Littín,
Chile, 1969.

- Yawar Mallku (Blood of the Condor), D: Jorge Sanjinés, Bolivia, 1969.

- Solo con tu pareja (Love in the Time of Hysteria/Only with Your Partner),
D: Alfonso Cuarón, Mexico, 1992.

- Gaijin: Os Caminos da Liberdade (Gaijin: A Brazilian Odyssey/Gaijin:
Roads to Freedom), D: Tizuka Yamasaki, Brazil, 1980.

- El sur (The South), D: Fernando Solanas, Argentina/France, 1987.

- Tango feróz: la leyenda de tanguito (Wild Tango), D: Marcelo Piñeyro,
Argentina, 1993.

Christopher Lewis
Media Librarian/Humanities Collection Manager
American University Library
202.885.3257
AIM: congolene