RE: [Videolib] (no subject)

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:21:26 -0500

I don't know that I would charge for the full set. I might consider it if
individual tapes were not available, but I would more likely prorate the
cost. Also, we have a set of default prices for out of print items. I
would probably go with those prices. I also would not necessarily pull the
whole set just because one title is lost. Otherwise, I would have discarded
Eyes on the Prize I a long time ago, since our first tape "Awakenings" was
never returned by a patron. GRR.
However, that is what ILL is for! Hope this helps.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Elise Vidal [mailto:Evidal@las-cruces.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 7:49 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] (no subject)

I have a question concerning policy.
In the past we have charged the full replacement cost of a video set when
the one of the videos from that set was
damaged or lost by a patron. Up now we have had no problems with this,
usually the patron pays for the set and goes on their
merry way. Now we have a patron who wants the set if they pay it, the
difficulty is we are waiting for volume 1 to be returned by yet another
patron (it is very late). You see the problem, two patrons being charged the
full replacement cost for one set. A great money maker but highly
unethical. Yes, the video set was pulled as soon as patron 1 said it was
lost, but volume was already checked out.
I would be interested in what other Libraries do, is the patron charged for
the full set? If so do they get the rest of the set if they pay? Do you
allow a patron to check out all the set at one time?
Also if anyone has any written policies concerning damage/fines on Media,
Please send me a copy off list.
Thank you.
Elise Vidal
Media Technician