RE: [Videolib] Exploding dvds

Lisa Irwin (LisaI@kpl.gov)
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:51:18 -0400

In the past several years that we have collected CD-ROMs, one patron has reported a disc exploding in his drive. He even collected the pieces, put them in an envelope and brought them into the library. "Exploded" is the operative word. In trying to determine if the destruction of our disc was due to negligence or natural causes, I was advised by several "techie" people that discs can explode. The reason offered, if I remember correctly, was attributable more to the disc speed issue than the presence of hairline cracks.

Lisa Irwin
Audiovisual Services
Kalamazoo Public Library
Library of the Year 2002
(269) 553-7923
lisai@kpl.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 2:21 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Exploding dvds

Yesterday, at a system meeting, a library reported having both dvds and
cd-roms explode in the players and computers. Apparently, it is believed
that this was caused by hairline cracks in the discs. Why the discs
explode, who knows. One theory on the cd-roms is that they are older
programs, being asked to run in newer computers, so the drives operate
faster. Several staff members saw this happen - on a dvd player, or
computer, I don't know. Also, it has happened to 2 patrons. This library's
board has directed their staff to pull all dvds and cd-roms that have
hairline cracks. My question is - has anyone ever heard of this happening?
I can't believe that if this is true, someone on this list wouldn't have
mentioned it. Also, if it is a hairline crack - how can you see it anyway.
You would practically have to use a magnifying glass on each disc. If the
crack was any bigger, you would be able to see it, and it wouldn't run
anyway. Thanks for any info.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library