Re: [Videolib] Exploding dvds

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:24:50 -0400

Funny you should ask, today of all days. I might actually know something
about this. Just this morning I opened a box of Cheerios that contained a
free CD-ROM game of Monopoly, with the CD showing through a circular cutout
in the front of the box. I was curious, so I dug down in and pulled it out.
In the fine print on the back of the CD wrapper was a warning saying that
one should look carefully at the surface of the disc before inserting it in
a computer. The best I can recall, it said that any scratch or hairline
crack could cause the disc to fly apart in higher-speed drives. It was the
first I'd ever heard of such a thing.
Marilyn Huntley