Re: [Videolib] A copyright question or two

Media2 (media2@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:03:52 -0400

John Streepy wrote:

>snip<
1) I remember once someone telling me that a professor could use a
personal taped off air copy in the classroom, but only once, if there
was use beyond that a copy would have to be purchased if possible. Is
this correct and if it is correct, where can I find it written to show a
collegue?

>>> You win the copyright memory test! The Off Air Video Tape Guidelines (aka. the Katsenmeyer (sp) Guidelines, aka. 10/45 day rule) Does allow for the use of a video taped off-air by an educator at home to be used in class for the purpose of Face to Face instruction, BUT the 10/45 portion still applies. When was the original AIR DATE of the broadcast? Because the 10 days (defined in the Guidelines as actual school days, not calander days)starts from the date the copy was made.

So, if the professor made the tape a year ago, or last month, all bets are off. The copy is still good for home use as a personal copy under Sony vs. Betamax, but not for classroom use.

Others on the list can probably more quickly cite sites where this is in writing. The Off air taping guidelines are available from the LOC copyright web site. The University of Texas has an excellent copyright site for the benefit of their instructors as well.

2) as to question 2 . . . . haven't a clue.

Good luck,

Mark Richie

"The level of support for educational technology tends
to be inversely proportional to the complexity of the technology."
Leeds 4th Law of Educational Technology