RE: [Videolib] Shelving videos

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:48:46 -0500

Sounds like what your patrons want is to find all the Disneys together,
all the Barneys together, etc. Try double-cuttering with a series
entry, then a title entry, so all the Disneys shelve together, all the
Barneys shelve together, etc.

PC

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 9:41 AM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Shelving videos

A couple of staff members are complaining about the videos in the
children's
section. We shelve feature films, pbs titles, etc., alphabetically by
title. The original boxes are put in the sleeves of the clamshell cases
we
use. At the top of the spine is the letter of the title's first word.
So,
Disney's Beauty and the Beast would have a "D" at the top, while Aladdin
would have an "A." Most of the time, this works. However, we run into
problems when the spine title and the cover title don't match the title
in
the computer, since of course the cataloging title is not taken from the
spine or cover. This pops up a lot with titles such as 'Barney" vs
"Barney's," and so forth. When these people look for videos - we hear
lots
of heavy, exasperated sighing, and more. I would like to do something,
but
it is possible that nothing can be done. Other than making new spine
labels
with the absolutely correct title, does anyone have a solution to this?
After spending almost a year converting our video collection so that it
could be shelved on the open shelves, I really hate having to revisit
that
scenario. Thanks for all your help on this.

On an aside, the security system we used for cds was the Alpha Security.
Our rep is coming today with other samples. Thanks for all your
suggestions, so far. More anon.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library