Re: [Videolib] Internet 2

Media2 (media2@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:44:08 -0400

I've been lurking I2 sites for about 4 years and agree that some
coordinated effort was needed to upgrade/replace the information goat
path that now passes for the Internet. If only to handle the rapid
growth of bandwidth intensive spam from korea.

What I can't get all warm and fuzzy about is the concept of streaming a
DVD Video over I2 or over Ione for that matter. First of all, why not
stream from an MPEG 2 FILE rather than from a DVD Video where mechanical
speed limits the transfer rate and adds a labor intensive element?
Second, most monitors can't fully resolve the upper quality of MPEG 2,
so why take up bandwidth moving image data that is beyond the capacity
of the viewing side to use? Third, streaming a DVD, so far, still can't
use the interactive options found in most Feature Film discs. A capacity
that has little relevance to the k-12 classroom. The end result is
still a linear video.

Needing a bigger pipeline to download data or VIDEO FILES was just as
inevitable as the need for multilane roads. But the amount of bandwidth
being consumed by redundant video streaming instead of a single download
is an unnecessary load on the net and the LAN. Why expect a 12th grade
chemistry teacher to stream the same video four times a day to use with
four sections? If a college professor assigns prep work for a class
that includes viewing a specific video on exothermic dynamics, is it
cost effective to build out a college dorm network to handle 30 to 200
simultaneous MPEG 2 streams at 15MB/s? A moot point no doubt since the
number of professors inclined to take advantage of that option is
infinitesimally small.

Downloading the entire NEXUS data base over I2 in 37 seconds holds great
advantages, but the magic cookie of using MPEG 2 for video streaming and
storage, ceased upon by the general and educational press, continues to
amaze me. Just the size of the files reduces the number of titles that
can be held on the library server.

At long last, have we have lost sight of the mission? We are content
providers. Yes, I would like my 158 schools to have OC-16 access
speeds. But I would rather they be more concerned about the quality of
the content. Meanwhile, k12 producers invest more in digital issues
with less to put into replacing dated productions. The regional centers
invest more in digital/IP infrastructure and less in content acquisition.

This is could be worse than switching from acetate to EstarŪ, and THAT
was going to end the world as we know it . . .

M. Richie
Department of Redundancy Department

"Having lost sight of our mission, we have redoubled our efforts."
NJ Department of Education