Re: [Videolib] Storing Videotapes Under Plastic

Media2 (media2@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:31:36 -0400

Your concerns are well founded. It is doubtful that the encapsulated
area will have an independent ventilation system to the outside so I
would be concerned with mold build up, humidity and condensation and
heat variations. The chief problem I suspect would be the tape windings
sticking to each other causing oxide loss when they are used again. Not
to mention health problems if they unwrap the cocoon and find it full of
mold.

Find out how the contractor abates humidity in the encapsulated area -
there are passive devices on the market that absorb huge amounts of
water from the air. I would get a bunch of them and put them in all
around the video stacks before they are warped. I'd also check your
insurance for what recourse you have if some portion of the collection
is unusable.

I suspect, from a cost stand point, it would be cheaper to replace the
damaged videos (if any) than add the extra costs to ventilate the cocoon
to the outside. I wouldn't worry about the CDs or DVSs.

This is going to ruin your circulation figures for this year.

Good luck.
Mark Richie

--
ࡱ