Re: [Videolib] is it ok for students to watch assigned films on

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:10:07 -0500

Maureen,
Your inclination is right. At the very least you would need public
performance rights; you may even need broadcast rights. Your station manager
should know better. Find out which titles s/he has in mind (ask for 2 or 3
specific titles), then ask the distributors if the copy you purchased from
them is cleared for this use. You will need to explain the nature and scope
of the station to get the correct response to your request. And don't asume
that the responses you get from these 2 or 3 will suffice for all
distributors. Each one has its own prices and terms. When you get the cost
and terms of the licenses (cost per showing, per semester, per year, etc.),
take that information to the station manager and ask if s/he is willing to
foot the bill.
Good luck,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources