Re: [Videolib] More Charlie Chan

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:47:17 -0400

--MS_Mac_OE_3141665238_10846817_MIME_Part

As far as I can tell only 4 of the 20 plus Fox Chan's have ever been legally
out on video
I did not keep tabs on the Monograms. However I do suggest taking advantage
of the four
( I can't remember titles but I know CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA is one of
them) so you can
see for yourself that Chan is NOT some shuffling, stupid, offensive
character
Sadly as far as anyone knows the Mr. Moto's AND the Will Rogers films are
also gone
permanently from Fox Movie Channel. This is a sad loss for movie buffs and
as Fox owns them it is unlikely they would allow them out in another fashion
( ie licensing them to Turner for
Broadcast or hey Kino for reissue).

I will just watch them on the "big" screen which is 16mm at the movie buff
shows

jessica

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International

From: "Cartford, Peter, JCL" <CartfordP@jocolibrary.org> Reply-To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:14:44 -0500 To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: RE: [Videolib] More Charlie Chan

Jessica wrote: --- If you want to see the Chan films you will have to buy the bootlegs on eBay (which are plentiful and ignored by Fox) ---

Or you can check at your local public library, a fair number of which have some or all of the prime Chan titles--see WorldCat. If yours isn't one of them there's always ILL.

PC

Peter Cartford

AV Librarian

Johnson County Library

Overland Park, KS

913-495-2496

cartfordp@jocolibrary.org

-----Original Message----- From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com] Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 12:24 PM To: videolib Subject: [Videolib] More Charlie Chan

It appears for now that Fox will not be swayed despite the fact the the

overwhelming number of responses to them were in favor of showing the films

One VERY interesting note in yesterday's New York Daily News ( and I suspect

elsewhere) claimed that the films were pulled because Rupert Murdoch's wife

who is Chinese objected. Fox denies this and claims that it was due

to objection by "community groups".

This remains a very sad case of "commercial" censorship of the first order

and very, very ironic given the rants that ALL Fox media outlets engage in

when they claim that some "liberal" group is engaging in "PC" politics

If you want to see the Chan films you will have to buy the bootlegs on

eBay (which are plentiful and ignored by Fox)

jessica

--

Jessica Rosner

Kino International

333 W 39th St. 503

NY NY 10018

jrosner@kino.com

--MS_Mac_OE_3141665238_10846817_MIME_Part Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Re: [Videolib] More Charlie Chan As far as I can tell only 4 of the 20 plus Fox Chan's have ever been legall= y out on video
[...]

This remains a very sad case of &qu= ot;commercial" censorship of the first order