Re: [Videolib] Closed Captioning Problems

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:48:51 -0500

Our governing board and member colleges/universities established a media
consortium years ago to license and duplicate 16mm and U-Matic tapes for
members. We had to request non-copy protected tapes for duplication - which
the major vendors would do without much fuss. We had to remind them to send
us that version just about every time, though.
Good luck,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
phone 615-898-2740
fax 615-898-2530
email gfedak@mtsu.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elaine Pallan" <EPallan@worthington.k12.oh.us>
To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 9:33 AM
Subject: [Videolib] Closed Captioning Problems

> Does anyone have any ideas on how videos could loose their closed
captioning when they are duplicated? We are a member of a purchasing
consortium, and the master tapes come to a central location where the
duplication is done for the group members. Many times the items say they
are "closed captioned" but I cannot get the captioning to appear on my set.
I have tried all the choices and looked up information on closed captioning.
Now I am confused! Has anyone else had problems with closed captioning?

> Most of the time the captioning is unreadable, with dropped letters,
scrambled characters, or just not there at all. On the set of tapes that I
am doing today, I really have a weird action. I can make captioning appear
for a few seconds. I discovered this by accident. As the tape is playing,
I hit rewind, then hit play and a little bit of captioning appears then it
gone. I have Caption Mode set on CAP C1 on the TV.